Saturday, July 30, 2011

Busy Weekend!!

Oh my goodness, what a busy and incredibly fun weekend!  (I'm counting Friday as part of our weekend!)

Friday was the start of Relay for Life.  For those of you who aren't familiar with the event, it's basically a 24 hour relay-hence the name-walk for cancer awareness and fund raising.  You get a team together, raise money, you can set up a booth/tent for your group or company and the idea is to have at least 1 person walking at all times throughout the 24 hour period representing your team.  So it's like a big camp out.  They do it at a local high school (or at least here they do) and we just do laps around the school track.  It's kind of addicting, walking laps around a track.  I did at least 10 and I just keep saying "That wasn't so bad, just one more."  Then I'd make it around and go "Yeah, I could do one more".  And before you know you've done 10!  HA!  Zoe did surprisingly well in the stroller but when she got kinda antsy and whiny, I took a break and let her run around some in the grass.  The track was too busy to have her walk with me.  She would have gotten run over!  I almost got run over!

I was totally impressed with the setup and the amount of people there!  It was AWESOME!  Tony was covering the event all day so I had told him Zoe and I would meet him that evening so we could do a couple laps and help be a part of the KVAL team.  (They were the main media sponsor).  There was live music, karaoke, food, games, plenty of things to keep you occupied!  

Of course I cried during the survivors' lap around the track.  Some you could see were still battling some form of cancer and of course seeing all the children just made my heart ache.  I can't imagine being a child or having a child go through that. 

There was one gentleman I saw, his name is Aaron.  KVAL did a story on him last year as he was selling advertising space on his Urn to help raise money for medical bills.  He was only given a few months to live, but has survived the last year.  He is now on hospice and said it took everything he had to make it to Relay for Life but was determined to do so.  My heart strings have been pulled by his story and seeing him there with his wife and knowing the struggles they go through.  I feel the strong urge to help them in some capacity, whether it be cooking a meal once a week or doing something for them around the house, or whatever.  I think they just need some love and prayers. 

Anyway, it was just a really neat experience.  I saw a couple friends from Church.  One of them, her mother is currently undergoing chemo.  One of my other friends, her father-in-law just passed away very suddenly (last Saturday in fact) of cancer.  It was great seeing both of them, their strength, and their smiles in these tough times and I'm so glad I could just give them a hug! 

Relay for Life, was an incredibly humbling experience and I would recommend that you all go out and participate.  Tony and I have agreed to go every year.  It doesn't matter if you know someone affected by cancer or not ... They need your support!  This year all I did was show up and walk, but next year I am definitely doing more!  It's just nice to be a part of something positive.  To work together with hundreds if not thousands of people for one cause.  Especially in times like these, where everyone is debating and arguing over every little thing, and not working together to get to the end result.  It's nice to be reminded that when you really want to, you can work together and do something positive.

Here are some pictures from Relay for Life.

I'm sure ... I'm positive, I've seen a picture of Dad Gist with this EXACT look on his face!  :)

Isn't it soo precious how she's totally watching Tony as he drinks his water?

Seriously.  She looks like her daddy.  :)    


Today, was the annual Taiko Obon Festival.  It's a celebration to honor those who have gone before us, over the year.  They do the Taiko Drums and the traditional dancing and it's really a neat evening, especially during the summer.

We went last year when Zoe was just 4 months old ... And that was much easier!  I only lasted an hour out there with her this year.  (Tony had to work tonight so it was just Zoe and myself).  She didn't want to stay near our blanket ... I'm not saying she had to sit still on the blanket but she didn't even want to stay in the general AREA of our blanket!  The park is busy and she wanted to be on/near the bike path and of course the area that has all the bird/goose/dog poo.  I have no problems with her running around with me where I can see our stuff, etc, but of all the areas, she had to be in this particularly busy and messy spot that just wasn't safe.  People were walking and riding bikes and if she were to fall into a pile of you know what, it would have been disastrous.   Every time I tried to redirect her to a more safe area, she went back to the not so safe area.  So after a while when she started to throw a fit, I decided it was time to leave.  Which was unfortunate because it was really just getting started!!  I did however get some great video of her dancing.  I just need Tony to edit the two videos I have together and then I'll get it posted.  It was super adorable.

In the mean time here are some pictures.

The pretty lanterns and the stand that they dance around.

Zoe checking out all the people.

She danced up a storm!

A brief moment where she sat still.  :)  There were some people standing behind us and she got a little shy.

I was able to distract her for a few minutes with a snack.


She shared some Cheez-Its with her baby.  Literally she'd put one up to baby's mouth and then eat it. Super cute.

It's a really nice evening-when you can sit and listen to the music and watch the pretty dancing.  And of course it makes me appreciate my Japanese ancestors and heritage.  It also makes me wish I knew more about them (my ancestors-not Japanese people in general).

Tomorrow is Sunday, which means Church (if we get our act together), maybe a little grocery shopping, and doing as little around the house as possible!  I'm saving some of that for Monday when Tony's off and he can help me distract Zoe while I try to clean!  :)


Photobucket

*Via 

For a little laughter:

Photobucket

*Via

Oh and for an off the wall comment:  The light bulb in our fridge broke and without the light, the fridge seems less cold.  I know it's not and I know it's still working, but somehow without the light, it seems different!  :)

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a TLC special event waiting for me on my DVR.  While I hate to see Nick Lachey marry Vanessa Minnillo or any woman for that matter (haha), I must watch just because it has Nick Lachey in it.  :)  Tony is very glad he works late tonight, however it is recorded so I can save it and watch it later on too!  And don't make fun .. I have loved Nick since I was in junior high.  He was my favorite boy band member.  (Good ol' 98 Degrees!)
 

No comments: