Wednesday, May 9, 2012

ultrasound!

I wasn't expecting to get an ultrasound appointment so early in the week, but I did.  I called yesterday and they got me in today.  (Tuesday)

The ultrasound tech was doing her thing and we were talking about why the possibility of a C-Section, etc, and then she got all the measurements.  And she says to me "You should feel NO guilt if you schedule a C-Section with this baby....."  It went from a "C-Sections aren't always best....They aren't easier...." conversation to, "Oh, yeah, you might want to have one, you aren't a very big person....."  Seriously.  No joke. 

She told me Noah is in the 98th percentile for size.  Translation: 8 pounds 15 ounces.  So yeah, basically 9 pounds.  Let's just say for the sake of ultrasounds overestimating, that he's a pound less.  That's still around the size (a little bigger) that Zoe was when she was born at 40 weeks and 1 day.  I'm only 36 weeks and 4 days with him.  So imagine another 3.5 weeks of him growing. 

Everyone keeps telling me that ultrasounds aren't accurate.  (It was with Zoe...)  And I get that.  I really do.  But, with my belly measuring 3 weeks ahead and a couple of ultrasounds indicating that he's big, I'm thinking he's a little on the big side.  Sure, I don't know how big...But I can FEEL he's big. The ultrasound tech also said his head measurements and other body measurements are on target for an 8 pound 15 oz baby.  So, it's not like he's got a small body and just chubby.  The only concern is are his lungs mature enough?

So, now I have to wait a week to see Dr. Cooper about what to do next...Do we wait until I go into labor?...Have a scheduled C-Section...Induction...Who knows.

I will tell you this.  I can barely bend over to dry my feet after a shower.  I almost can't drive...(I've already adjusted the seat as much as I can but I have short legs.)  And I already can't (or am not supposed to) pick up Zoe. 

I'm okay with the idea of laboring and seeing how it goes.  I know a lot of women who have birthed naturally 9+ pound babies.  My big concern is that if I labor for 20+ hours with no luck, is that going to be too much stress for Noah?  I don't want him to got into fetal distress and then we have to do an EMERGENCY C-Section. 

I want to do what's best for Noah and for myself.  I really hope we can figure out what that is....




No comments: