Friday, June 3, 2011

Toys

Well, after my last post about her playing with things that aren't toys, I decided to write about some stuff Tony and I have been discussing regarding toys/material items.

Let me preface this by saying, we aren't opposed to nor against toys. 

We realize and understand that kids love toys.  Kids love to play.  I remember having a lot of toys growing up and I especially loved playing with dolls and dress up clothes, or dishes and play food, so I could play house.  And I know Tony loved Legos, video games, GI Joes, etc.  It's just a part of being a kid.

But we're hoping we can lessen the emphasis on having toys or getting toys as presents, with Zoe.  I've seen how some kids can become very materialistic, especially in today's generation with all the high-tech items, iPods, iPads, iPhones, etc.  We just don't want Zoe to get all caught up in those things.  Again, we're not opposed to them ...

In today's economy, with so many families struggling, we want Zoe to grow up knowing there's much more to life then stuff.  We want her to know there are people out there struggling just to have food or clothes, and shelter.  We want her to know somethings are a privilege not a right and to be grateful for what she has.

When we were going to do Zoe's first birthday party (we have yet to have one-maybe we'll do a year and a half party!) we didn't want our friends to feel like they had to bring something, or couldn't come to the party if they couldn't bring something.  And that's what originally started this conversation.  So many families we know (if not all) are on SOME type of budget and of course sometimes life throws us curve balls we aren't prepared for.  So, we had decided we would do a canned food drive for our local food bank, in lieu of gifts, IF that was something people could afford or would want to do.  We really just wanted people to know it was about celebrating Zoe's life and spending quality time with our friends and loved ones while chowing down on some yummy pizza!  

All of our family lives out of state so not only are people purchasing items, they're also paying for shipping costs.  Toys alone can be quite expensive but it seems like you'd pay just as much if not more just to ship the darn thing! 

Most of the toys Zoe has have been hand-me downs which we have been so grateful for.  They have been great and Zoe really enjoys them.  But sometimes, (especially at her current age) I can't see paying $40 for one thing she may play with just a little bit.  She seems to enjoy playing with towels, laundry baskets, clothes, Tupperware, pots and pans, much more then her actual toys. 

If you save up and come visit us, that is certainly a gift.  If you enjoy scrapbooking and would like to make a scrapbook of pictures or whatever, that would certainly be a gift.  I really love those recordable books-Grandpa sent a couple to Zoe for Christmas and we read/listen to them all the time.  If you want to just write letters or keep a journal for her that is also a great gift.  Those types of things are amazing things to hand down to her that she can keep for a lifetime or even hand them down to her kids.  I've kept literally every card sent to us over the last 8 years.  I figure if you've taken the time to pick out a card, write in it, and get in the mail, it's worth me keeping. 

Toys aren't going to last forever and at some point she'll probably outgrow them. 

So again, we aren't saying we don't like toys, don't want them, etc.  We don't want to discourage anyone from doing what they would like to do.  We just want to say, there's no obligation or pressure to purchase these fancy, crazy, toys that are out on the market!  (I'm really hoping we don't have a boy because I've seen Lego sets for like $100 ... I  mean really?!  $100 for some molded pieces of plastic?!  I think not!!)

Tony and I have also agreed that for the most part (but especially if bigger toy items are involved) we'd like to save those for her birthday and Christmas.  And keep toy buying to a very minimal amount during the rest of the year.

So just to reiterate-we're not trying to tell you you can't buy toys for Zoe if you want but we're also saying there's no pressure or obligation to, and we feel we'd like to focus more on other things.  Books and apparently art (today we discovered she loves to scribble-I mentioned it in my previous post) are going to be a big thing for us oh and of course MUSIC!!!

Hopefully I didn't offend anyone-but I just wanted to throw that out there.  If you have any questions or issues, you know how to reach me!  :)

No comments: